National Leaders of Governance (NLG) are highly effective chairs of governors who support chairs in other schools.
John Stephens, Director of Teaching Schools at NCTL said “As part of the development of a school-led system, we have now designated over 300 national leaders of governance (NLG). NLGs are experienced chairs of governance, who support the development of chairs in other schools. They are becoming an increasingly important part of the team of system leaders, having already provided formal support to over 400 governing bodies in 2014”.
Andy Wilson NLG
Andy began working with schools as a business advisor in 1995 supporting Hawkley Hall High School students within the young enterprise scheme. Twelve months later becoming a Governor, he has gained extensive experience through serving on all the governance committees. He was appointed Chair of Governors of the school in 2010. In May 2012, he was appointed as a trustee, director and Chair of the newly formed Rowan Learning Trust (RLT) a Multi Academy Trust (MAT).
In November 2012 the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) appointed Andy as a National Leader of Governance (NLG). He has undertaken a range of deployments in this role including
- Supporting a newly appointed Chair of a Special School to develop in their new role.
- Chairing an Interim Executive Board (IEB) put in place by a Local Authority at a school in special measures. Providing support, guidance and challenge during their school improvement journey and transition back to a Local Governing Body. The recent Ofsted visits confirm the impact, support and governance continues to make to the improvements in school performance.
- Provided support to other Chairs and Governing bodies enabling them to recognise their strengths and areas for improvement then encouraging them to develop strategies for improvement.
- Acting as a sounding board for Chair’s who face difficult decisions or conversations enabling them to deal with these situations professionally and with confidence.
- Supporting a Vice Chair who has been appointed as Chair at a Pupil Referral Unit covering both Primary and Secondary sectors.
- Working with another MAT on their whole school improvement journey as Chair of an IEB.
Andy has a wide network of other NLGs who he works with and can access particular expertise. He is able to undertake reviews of governance to provide you with an analysis of where improvement is required. Andy has found these deployments provide a wealth of opportunities to develop and grow individually enabling him to benefit others. He has provided support to North West schools through the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust and the DfE funded National Enterprise Service.
Andy has a background in senior roles including operational and contracts management within a range of organisations. He has set up an independent training company and personally developed, designed and delivered enterprise curriculum resources and training days. A long time Member of the Chartered Institute of Management (MCMI). Andy an experienced coach has a strong moral purpose and a passion for the education and development of all people within school communities.
If you feel that you or your school would benefit from NLG support, Andy can be contacted via email on to arrange an informal, confidential and no obligation meeting or telephone conversation.