John Stephens, Director of Teaching Schools at NCTL said “As part of the development of a school-led system, we have now designated over 300 national leaders of governance (NLG). NLGs are experienced chairs of governance, who support the development of chairs in other schools. They are becoming an increasingly important part of the team of system leaders, having already provided formal support to over 400 governing bodies in 2014”.
Andy Wilson NLG
Andy has over 20 years’ experience as a Governor, gained through serving on all the governance committees he was appointed Chair of Governors in 2010. In May 2012, he was appointed as a trustee, director and Chair of the newly formed Rowan Learning Trust (RLT) a Multi Academy Trust (MAT).
Andy was appointed as a National Leader of Governance (NLG) in November 2012 by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL). He has undertaken a range of deployments in this role including
- Supporting newly appointed Chairs to develop within their new role.
- Providing support to other Chairs and Governing bodies enabling them to recognise their strengths and areas for improvement then encouraging them to develop strategies for delivering that improvement.
- Acting as a sounding board for Chair’s who face difficult decisions or conversations enabling them to deal with these situations professionally and with confidence.
- Supporting Chairs in both Primary and Secondary sectors.
- Chairing Interim Executive Boards (IEBs) put in place by Local Authorities or a Multi Academy Trusts where schools require improvement or are in special measures.
Andy has a wide network of other NLG colleagues who he works with and can access particular expertise. He is qualified to undertake reviews of governance providing you with an analysis of where improvement is required and a clear action plan. He has found these deployments provide a wealth of opportunities to develop and grow individually enabling him to benefit others. He has provided support to North West schools through the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust and the DfE funded National Enterprise Service.
Andy has a background in senior roles including strategic, operational and contracts management within a range of organisations across the public and private sectors. A Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management (FCMI), he is an experienced coach, has a strong moral purpose and a passion for the education and development of all people within school communities.
If you feel that you or your school would benefit from NLG support, Andy can be contacted via email on to arrange an informal, confidential and no obligation meeting or telephone conversation.